The first theme featured on the Picture Book Month calendar is Ocean. I’m trying to keep pace with the calendar and blog about either the person or the theme featured each day of this month on the calendar. Some days, like today, I might even be able to do both! I’m taking this opportunity to post a story time I did for some kids up to two years of age, although I take no credit for the rhymes featured here. That’s all someone else, I just paired them up.
1. Charlie Went Over the Water (My “starting” song, which can get quite long, but it matches the theme.”
Charlie went over the water, Charlie want over the sea
Charlie caught a blackbird, but can’t catch me. (You repeat once for every child present, substituting their name in instead of “Charlie”)
2. Here is the Sea
Here is the Sea, the wavy sea (wave hands from side to side)
Here is my boat, (cup hands like a boat)
And here is me (point to self)
All of the fishes (wiggle your fingers)
Down below (point downwards)
Wiggle their tails (wiggle your fingers)
And way they go. (wiggle your fingers behind your back)
3. Sail Away by Donald Crews
4. Catching a Fish
One, Two, Three, four, Five (count fingers on left hand)
I caught a little fish alive (catch fingers on right hand with left hand)
Why did you let it go? (release fingers quickly)
Because it bit my fingers so. (shake right hand)
Which finger did it bite?
The little finger on the right. (point to little finger on right hand)
5. Wave by Suzy Lee
6. The Goldfish by Laurie Berkner on Victor Vito cd (first two verses only for under two, since they don’t know how to ride a bike.)
7. The Waves on the Sea
The Waves on the sea go up and down.
Up and down, up and down.
The waves on the sea go up and down
All day long.
The shark in the sea goes snap, snap, snap…
The fish in the sea goes swish, swish, swish…
The boats in the sea go toot, toot, toot…
8. “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean” from Musical Scarves and Activities
9. Ocean Shell
I found a great big shell one day (cup hands)
Upon the ocean floor
I held it close up to my ear (raise hands to ear)
I heard the ocean roar!
I found a tiny shell one day (cup one hand)
Upon the ocean sand
The waves had worn it nice and smooth
It felt nice in my hand. (pretend to roll shell between hands)
10. Poems from Commotion in the Ocean by Giles Andreae and David Wojtowycz (The pop-up version, pecifically “Shark” and “Lobster”)
11. Ring Around the Rosie (I ALWAYS ended with two rounds of ring around the Rosie.)
What do you use for your ocean themed story times? Do you go pirates, or have you ever done one with just water as the theme?